Saturday, July 13, 2013

Almost there!

Wow, time flies so quickly! I haven't posted in quite a while. I've been so busy figuring out logistics regarding my flight and visa. It's been a wild ride, but I'm happy to report that I'm almost there!

Before going to my visa appointment, I had to have my au pair contract approved by the employment agency in France. My poor host family was put through the ringer! I had sent them all of the correct papers and they dropped it off at the agency, but the agency lost the whole file. The WHOLE thing. Thankfully I had sent them copies of all of my documents, but they had to scramble to put the file back together so I could have the approved contract in time for my visa appointment. Now that it's over and I was able to get the contract in time, we can laugh about it, but at the time it was pretty stressful (mostly for them).

After that whole thing, I had to prepare for my visa appointment. If you are going through the visa process yourself, I highly recommend staying overly organized. I had a nice file folder that I used to keep my necessary documents in order. I had them arranged by type of file, and I double and triple checked everything days before my appointment to make sure I didn't have to worry. This saved me a lot of time and stress. Also, make sure that you double check the requirements for visa papers regularly  before your appointment, just in case the requirements change. Mine didn't, but you never know, and they reserve the right to change them at any time. It would suck to go to your appointment, only to find out that the requirements changed just the week before and you didn't know! Don't let that be you!

My appointment day came pretty quickly. On Wednesday, I headed to LA early in the morning to the French consulate. I'm very fortunate to live close to LA, because this consulate serves all of Southern California plus New Mexico, Nevada, and Colorado (I think? I'm pretty sure it serves most of the American Southwest). I feel bad for people from Colorado who have to go all the way to LA for their visa appointment! It saved me a lot of time and money to only have to drive from Orange County.

Traffic to LA is awful though, so I left at 7:30 for my 9:45 appointment and got there in 2 hours (without traffic, it takes about 1 hour). Before I left for LA, I had to get a FedEx US Airbill. This was an adventure in itself. I got there believing that it would take five minutes, but it took the sales associate (who had no idea what I needed for my visa appointment and had no experience with the mailing requirements for visas) and me an hour to figure out exactly what I had to get and how I had to pay for it. Gah! I was a mess because I was afraid I would be late for my appointment or bring the wrong document. Thank god for smartphones, I would have been in serious trouble if I couldn't have googled what I needed exactly from FedEx. I'm very thankful for the associate's patience, and she did throw in a free color copy of my passport, but she wasn't very helpful or knowledgeable about what I needed, and it turns out that what I insisted that I needed (and she insisted she couldn't get for me) was actually what I really did have to do in the end. I didn't even have to spend that extra hour in the first place if she had known that.

*IF YOU NEED A FRENCH VISA: get a FedEx express US airbill, put yourself in as the sender and recipient, and have it billed to the recipient (you need to create a FedEx billing account beforehand to do this). This will save you a lot of time at the FedEx store. I also recommend getting the airbill the day before, or padding extra time in your schedule the morning of, because if I hadn't left as early as I did in the morning (I got to the FedEx office at 6:30am), then I would have missed my appointment.

The visa appointment itself was surprisingly a lot easier than I thought it would be, in large part because the employees at the Consulate were so friendly and helpful and because I was extremely organized and prepared. I was 15 minutes early, but they were running late on appointments and there was even a couple who arrived an hour late and still was able to attend their appointment, so I wouldn't worry too much about about being very early if you have a visa appointment at the French Consulate. The security guard was SO nice, and we had a great little chat before I sat down to wait to be called to one of the two windows. The lady at my window was very professional yet friendly, and asked for my documents one at a time. I gave them to her in the order she asked, then she took my picture and my fingerprints. After that I paid the fee ($130 for an au pair visa), and then she told me it looked like I had everything in order and the visa would take about 2 weeks to be approved. This was great news to me, since the website said it could take up to 4 weeks. Then I went home!

So now all I have to do is wait. I know that I had all of the correct papers and that there is no reason for my visa to not be approved, but I'm still a little nervous. I hope the news comes in sooner rather than later!

I hope this is helpful to anyone else getting a visa from the French Consulate in LA. Don't be afraid, as long as you stay organized and on top of things, everything should go smoothly.

No comments:

Post a Comment